This post is admittedly a little (okay, a lot) late but I had to put it up nevertheless. This December three of my friends, Pratyush (Pondy, PP), Ashutosh and Anurag (Annu, Juice) went to Goa for about seven days. Anurag had a neat Club Mahindra thing so we got free 5 star accommodation. One always learns from experience and so for people who plan to go to Goa in the near future, here are a list of pointers.
- If you have a girlfriend, try to get her to come. No kidding, there are plenty of things for couples to do in Goa (other than the obvious) and you are sure to have a good time.
- Rent bikes on the first day. There are people in Goa who will rent you bikes (geared or non-geared vehicles at your choice) at affordable rates. We rented two Honda Dios from a guy named Steve for 300 INR a day. Don’t underestimate the kind of fun you will have just riding around drunk on empty roads, especially if you are an all guys group (like us).
- Ethanol. Booze is cheap in Goa but make sure you don’t end up drinking Kingfisher all day – try native stuff as much as you can. Almost every beach in Goa has a bar and there is really nothing like having a Goan sunset sitting on a beach in Goa during sunset. Here are two specific places you might want to check out.
- Tito’s – Due to certain circumstances we could not check this one out but everyone we know who’ve been to Goa swear by Tito’s. You might want to pay them a visit
- Micky’s – One of the smaller places where you can kick back and enjoy. These guys have wonderful live music and an awesome crowd. While I found the waiters a bit too busy, you’ll, in general, be enjoying yourself too much to notice.
- Residence. We spent our first night in an awesome place called the Varca Beach Resort. Though we did not shell out a penny, rates generally range about 35k INR a night at around the time we stayed there. Needless to say the place was amazing, with swimming pools all over and a proper spa + gym. For the other six days we were put up in the Jasmine resort, which, too was great. I found it slightly dull but I guess I was spoilt by Varca.
- Buying Stuff. Shopping may be a concern if you have your better half with you, which was not the case with us. I did, however, drop down to Newtons and pick up a bottle of El Charrow Tequila, a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label, a can of Twinings coffee and a bag of Nilgiri Tea. As mentioned, booze is cheap in Goa and one must make the most of it.
- Water Sports Frankly, this was a little disappointing; not as exciting as one would imagine.